Director of Business Development
Early Learning Ventures (ELV), a non-profit, is taking a lead role in accelerating Early Care and Education (ECE) quality improvements, and increasing access for all children to high quality care. We are an entrepreneurial and business focused organization with a highly collaborative culture, and a laser like focus on early childhood development. As we grow we are seeking a Director of Business Development to play a critical role in executing the organization’s scale and sustainability strategy. ELV’s Alliance network is a highly impactful child care shared services model, and we are seeking to build on its track record of success and expand nationally. We are looking for a unique individual, someone who has the technical skills to generate social venture capital as well as the drive to work collaboratively. This position will advance our efforts to establish public-private partnerships and other collaborative fund development activities. The Director of Business Development, under the direction of the Executive Director, will be responsible for developing the partnership, funding and business development strategies for Early Learning Ventures.
Scope of Responsibility for the Director include:
- Drive growth and sustainability. The Director will serve as lead for ELV’s Business Development efforts and will function as lead in the management of existing funder relationships and the identification and cultivation of other mission-aligned funders from the public, private, and philanthropic sectors to broaden ELV’s base of support.
- Manage day-to-day fund development operations including budgeting and fundraising targets, and operations and program performance targets in collaboration with national leadership team.
- Oversee and support execution of a comprehensive national growth strategy. Partner with ELV’s program and technical assistance team and work closely with legal, operations, and finance staff to continuously drive business development. Ensure best-in-class results including the development, implementation, and monitoring of policies and procedures.
- Pursue opportunities to identify and cultivate potential champions amongst community, state and regional level leaders from diverse sectors and other organizations and systems. In particular, s/he will focus on deepening relationships across sectors, including technology and financial services, and building support and buy-in for the network to capitalize on opportunities for collaboration.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities:
- Responsible for leading the planning, design, implementation, and evaluation of all aspects of the organization’s fund development strategy
- Prospect for potential new partnerships, joint ventures, and strategic alliance opportunities; analyzing their feasibility, shaping specific opportunities, presenting recommendations internally, and negotiating funding agreements
- Plan and manage effective cultivation, solicitation, and recognition programs and strategies for major donors and prospects
- Identify and personally solicit high-profile, and extremely complex major donations of $100,000+ prospects annually
- Oversees continuous research, development, and up-to-date knowledge on social investment prospects and works to increase the connections to foundations and other funding organizations
- Ensures compliance with prospect management guidelines for tracking and maintenance of contact and progress reporting
- Increase awareness of ELV in the public sector to support national expansion
- Develop and execute ELV’s government relations efforts to educate policy makers on issues related to the delivery of high quality child care, and serve as an effective high-level advocate at both the state and federal level
- Prepare summary reports, legislative testimony and other assigned communication to support ELV public-private partnership efforts
- Organize VIP visitor events at our programs, speak at conferences, work with Congressional leaders and Executive Branch officials in leveraging new financial and technical resources, and serving as the ELV spokesperson in the policy and fund development arenas
- Strengthen relationships with strategic allies (industry groups, advocacy groups, legislators, and executive branch officials)
- Build relationships with local, state, and national foundation leaders so they are aware of ELV, its impact in the community, and its position on issues related to ECE.
Qualifications and Requirements:
- Four year college (Bachelor’s Degree) in Political Science, Business Administration, Finance or related field required.
- 3+ years of fund development experience preferred
- Graduate (Master’s Degree, JD or Ph.D.) preferred
- 8 years’ development, marketing, sales or the equivalent experience
- Proven track record of developing and closing partnerships in the six and seven figure range.
- Experience in the ECE sector, or related sector preferred.
- This position will require flexibility to travel frequently (50%+) and with little notice and the flexibility to work evenings and weekends for special events
We offer a competitive salary and benefits, including medical, dental, vision, life insurance, STD, LTD, FSA, 401(k) and bonus. Early Learning Ventures is an Equal Opportunity Employer.